Sunday, January 29, 2006

My Rotary frustrations......

OK I just want to start off by saying that if you are Rotarian, DON'T READ THIS. Just click the x and open up a different web page, check the weather, but don't read this post.





Ok, now to continue and say hi personally to all the rotarians who are, in fact, still reading this.
I just came back from probably thee single most frusterating weekends of this year: my "Weekend de Neige" with the Rotary district.
Before I start in on the gruesome details, just want to say that it was above all really really fantasic as always to see the 50 ish other exchange students in the dictrict and for that alone it was worth going. So anyway, as we all like to say - thank you rotary. Honestly. For that anyway.

Ok now to vent about the side thats DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!
When I came to France, I signed rules that stated that I could not travel by myself to visit a nearby friend or relative, without written permission of my natural parents, my host family, my friends and/or family that I was going to see and Rotary.
When I went to England I had all four of these things. Not only that but I had to take a direct flight and have my host family be with me right up unitl I got on the plane and had to have my cousin, be there as soon as I landed. While I really think this is a bit exigent, hey, I got to do it, I saw England, I'm lucky, I'm not complaining.
I also have friends in Switzerland who I have talked about coming to see since I arrived in France. One of my friends birthday party's happens to fall perfectly on my first day of vacation, which is really lucky because I'M NOT ALLOWED TO MISS ONE DAY OF SCHOOL! Even though it counts for nothing and I don't get marked, and I've already graduated.
Again, not complaining, I'm trying to be french here and the french aren't allowed to miss school either. So anyway, I have gotten my three writted permissions from my host family, parents and friends and found a way to take a DIRECT train to the town I want to go to in Switzerland, because changing trains isn't allowed. I was just waiting for Rotary to officially OK it, when our district chairman decided that he wasn't going to give permission to travel anymore. For our own good. Because if we were to be all by ourselves, even on a direct train or flight, we would be put under great risk of sexual harrassment.

So thats it I can't go. Well, I can actually, however, in order to go see them I have to wait for five months, step my foot on Canadian soil, have my passport stamped, and THEN, if I wanted to still, I could go see them.
Does he have any idea how much more it costs to get a 11 hour flight from Kamloops to Laufen, than to catch the 2 hour train?
Anyway, our dear rotary friend started off the weekend by breaking this news to everyone. He doesn't want to hear about the idea of students travelling by themselves anymore. It puts him in a bad mood. The answer is just no. We can even talk about it. We are not getting Rotary's permission. We can travel where our family takes us or, if we still have that evil urge to see europe, we can sign up for the €650 - €950 rotary bus trips (including meals that makes $800 -$1100 Canadian), but only if we can manage to find space on one that falls within our school holidays. Other than that I must find an adult in our family or in rotary that is willing to give up his/her time and money to come with me on the train for 6 hours of their day. Basically, we stay home.
Already the weekend was off to a smashing beginning.
Because this was, "the weekend of snow" we were all looking forward to take advantage of some good skiing. HA HA HA. Not only did we not get to take advantage of the skiing and snow boarding, but the incredibly amazing cross country skiing and snow shoeing trails in the area, for some unknown reason, were off bounds to us too.
In order to "profite" from the snow in the area last night, we walked to the end of the drive way of our hotel, decided the road that is found at the end of it posed too many dangers, and walked back to the hotel.
We ate dinner, which was really delicious.
Then we got to dance!! Which was also very fun. We got to dance right up until 11 30, when it was bedtime. After that it was in our rooms, lights off.
The next morning, feeling all refreshed, we got to tackle the same road that posed too many dangers the night before. We walked on it all the way into the small town nearby. Then back to our hotel.
We then ate lunch. mmmm
Then after Rotary provided us with 5 sleds, for the 50 ish students to amuse themselves with until it was time to go home.
The end of my "weekend of snow."
All I could say when I got home was, thank god, (and rotary, in part as well) for my host families. I got to full out vent to not only one but three moms. One of them gave me the best homemade "confiture" in the whole wide world and the other gave me an asian dinner, because she knew how much I was missing asian, and just ethnic food in general. I love my French moms. I love Veronique ( and her jam) and I love Marie ( and her asian food) It not only just the food, honestly, but just that they are so thoughtful and who doesn't love a good mom when your 10 000 km away from your own.
Rotary in this district is definatly frusterating, but none the less I am glad I am here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really silly that you're not allowed to go to Switzerland. I mean, come on, they're the Swiss... you don't get any more peaceful than that, right? What are they gonna do, make you eat chocolate and play the alpen horn till you keel over?

5:06 PM  
Blogger Kelly O said...

Bummer Bonnie, I would go with you in minute if I was there. Mariana was telling me a story of a Rotary Exchange student, I think it was in Brazil, but I am not sure. Anyway it happened just recently and she just decided to take off and travel on her own. She just hopped onto a bus a left her host family for a while. No one knew where she was and there was an all out police search for her. She was finally found alive and healthy and was sent back to her home land. Perhaps this is why they ar being so strict right now.

We all know of course, that you would never do that.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

better than my jam?

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

frustrating, yes, but hopefully still better than not being in france. (i'm the mom, i had to be the one to say it)

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Han la chance Bonnie... j'avais conpletement oublié la confiture de ma Maman...

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arf, je suis désolé pour toi Bonnie !

C'est vrai que c'est stupide.

Personellement, j'ai déjà pris le train tout seul, avec même un changement de train, mais je ne me suis jamais fait agressé sexuellement !!

Mais bon, d'un autre côté, pourquoi aller "to the land of chocolate" (où onnnn paaaaarleeeee coooommmmmeeee ççççaaaaaaaaa !) quand tu es "in the land of bread and wine"

;)

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home