Saturday, February 25, 2006

Passion lives here


Seeing the olympics was cool. I live about an hour and a half away from the Olympic site, so we drove. We had to go through the tunnel that goes through the alps. It lasted for about 20 minutes. I went with Marie, my host mom, Iliana and Kotaro, the other 2 exchange students in my club and Margaux, my last host sister. Margaux brought makeup and we put French flags on all the French peoples cheeks around us, and we all brought flags from our various countries. It was really cool. Here are my olympic observations:
1) The snowboarders were really fast, but not like out-of-this world fast. I think the TV gives us the impression that they go faster. It was also interesting to see all of this in real life because we really saw how the athletes are just humans. They laughed and it was clear that they liked each other well enough and we're enjoying their olympic experience too. Even the three medalists at the end looked excited, a bit unsure of what to do and giggles amongst themselves. On TV they look so untouchable, but in real life we see they are just girls who won a competition.
2) My favorite thing about going to the olympics was that I really felt like it was a world event, at least the western, developed world anyway. It was so cool to see other Canadians, have a good english conversation. I saw lots of other students who live in europe too, I saw people from Ontario, Saskatchewan, and BC. I met the mayors of Richmond, Wistler and a Vancouver councillor, and the Vice President of BC transit. I didn't know who they were at the time, but was just looking for other Canadians and introduced myself. Hahaha.
3) I have never been in a situation with as much media in my entire life. Someone filmed me drinking Powerade in exchange for a free bottle of it.So watch those Powerade ads carefully.

4) I enjoyed all the police and fire fighters and just any other uniformed people there.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you lucky girl, you!! what a great experience that must have been to see some of it live!!

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh voui! moi depuis ma Finlande j'ai même pas pu y aller... mais bon, j'ai tout suivi depuis la télé et je pense que Margaux te l'avais dit: je vous avais vu :D

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home