Friday, November 18, 2005

The time flies, even 9 hours in the future.

Well the time is passing quickly as usual and I am enjoying the life here, as I have been for almost Three months now. I feel like I am still the same girl, who is still blessed with an amazing family and a great running club. I get to do lots of fun things and I still have to do not so fun things as well. The only thing that has changed is that all of this is just taking place in France. My values, personality and life hasn't changed, its just the location and the people in it that have. I love France and my life here, its not as different as you think it would be, but its the differences that I love.
I adore the little things about life in France that now seem normal, like the fact that they drink their tea or coffee in the morning in bowls and never in mugs, the pink toilet paper, the 5:00 snacks and the 8:00 dinners, the windows that never have screens, the three hour weekend lunches, all the round-abouts and scooters in the road, and above all the people that I have become acustom to seeing everyday.
This is what happened in my week.
I have gone once again to Annecy where I enjoyed a 3 hour saturday lunch at my host aunts apartment. I love the tiny little apartments here. They all make me want to move to France and have a teeny, tiny little apartment for myself. I really am going to move back here next year so I won't have to wait for long.
I have been running a couple of times and I have a sore body. My legs, thighs, shins, abs and back hurt, I miss my team of chiropracters, massage and athletic therapists in Kamloops!!!. I have been pushing myself rather hard lately and as a result I am sore but I'm sure with a bit of rest I will be fine within 3 days, and I really need to rest now, because I run my race in Montpellier next weekend!!
My host Dad hurt himself at work so he is off for a bit. He bruised his rib falling on a piece of machinery. Its nice to have him home and he is funny to see him on pain killers. We have had lots of laughs about all the stuff he says and does.
This morning my prof de sport wasn't there so a bunch of us went to the bar for a coffee, which is my favorite way to spend a morning; talking and laughing in a warm cozy bar with a bunch of friends beats a cold stone classroom anyday.
Thats about all I have to say other than to share a little anecdote about french sound effects.
I was talking to Camille and Romain, my very classy french friends, one day about how we immitate different sounds and these are the differences we came up with.
A roster in english says "cock-a-doodle-doo", and in french "Cocorico"
A train noise in English is said "choo choo and in french "Tchoo Tchoo"
Hen in english= cluck cluck and french = cot cot
A bird goes "chirp chirp" and a oiseau goes "Cui cui"
A sheep goes "baa" and a french sheep would say "bêê bêê"
Ducks in english= "quackquack" and in french "coin coin"
and last but not least dogs go "bark" in english and "ouof ouof" in french.
We laughed for about half hour about this because one would never think that an animal would say something different depending on the country. It took two rotary clubs, Lycée Vaugelas, $4000 and an incredible amount of paper work to figure that out. I am proud to represnt Canada in such a dignified way

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly O said...

What a wonderful post today Bonnie, I laughed so hard at the animal sounds, you would think a dog would sound the same in any language wouldn't you?

We all enjoyed your phone call so much the other day, it was a such a treat to hear your voice. It was hard to let you go when the time came to hang up, you seemed so close when we said hello and so far away when it came time for goodbye.

I adjusted your dad just yesterday, so you should feel better by proxy. You have such a wonderful supportive family, you are blessed in so many ways. Have wonderful day...sending you much love and healthy energy KellyO.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'est excellent ce que tu as mis pour le bruit des animaux!!!
Occupes-toi bien de mon Papa, parce que quand je sais qu'il ne va pas bien, ca me rend très triste... et encore plus quand je sui sloin et que je ne peux rien faire!!! Amuses toi bien en France ("pidetään hauskaa Ranskassa" en finnois!) Bisous!

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

euh... je me suis trompée... amuses-toi bien c'est pida hauskaa!!!

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home