Monday, September 26, 2005

Franish

So at school I am learning spanish as well as French right now. Its a funny thing learning a 3rd language. While I find it easier because Spanish is so close to French, its frustrating at the same time because of all the words I don't know yet that I know I will need to know. Doesn't make sense? Read on...

When I learned french in school it was just a another language that I didn't know, and just lots of words that meant nothing to me. It didn't matter because it all just seemed like more than I could ever learn anyway. However, looking back I realize how one must learn a language.
One must start from basic grammar foundations,and slowly build the vocabulary as well. I now realize, the language gap is not as hard to close as I had thought during my first years in French. At the beginning of my foreign language learning, knowing no other language but English, I had no idea that the teachers back home had figured out the best way to learn a language too. I just learned most of what they taught me. In the long run it totally paid off and when it came down to it I knew way more french than I thought. Now that I have mostly figured out French too, Spanish should be easy, right?
Well, it is, but there is nothing that replaces those years and years of repetition of grammar and vocab that we in Canada are, thankfully, forced to withstand starting in grade 4.
To sum it all up, taking another language is great in one way because I feel like I am still not quite there in French, and then, Spanish comes along and reminds me how far I have come. On the other hand, its frustrating because French reminds me how far I have to go in Spanish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home